Electronic Arts said last week that users can now play the original Battlefield game, Battlefield 1942 on PC through the Origin service for free. The announcement coincided with Battlefield 3 Premium members going over 2 million subscribers since June.
DICE Vice President Karl Magnus Troedsson said “When we launched Battlefield 1942 ten years ago, we had lofty ambitions to create a first-person shooter that would push the boundaries of innovation, creativity and design. We evolved the FPS gameplay formula by introducing the world to all-out warfare via land, air and sea.”
Battlefield 1942 Trailer.
I wonder how many people will actually play the original Battlefield 1942 seeing as its mostly been dead for several years now. The free-to-play Battlefield Heroes and Battlefield Play4Free are also available so there seems there’s plenty out there for people who want to play this type of game for free. However there are better free-to-play shooters out these days.
The game is good to try out to see how much the franchise has changed and hasn’t over the years.
You can play Battlefield 1942 free until 1st March 2013.
My other Battlefield posts:
- Battlefield 3 Now has Over 1.3 Million Premium Members.
- A New Battlefield 3: Armored Kill DLC Trailer.
- Battlefield 4 Beta and Game Has Now Been Confirmed.
- Rumor: Battlefield 4 Beta Revealed by Electronic Arts.
- Battlefield 3: Physical Warfare Pack is Now Available on PC and Xbox 360 for Free.
- Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand is Now Available on PC and Xbox 360.
- Battlefield 3 is Now Available.